A Tiger in the House Question Answer Solution NCERT Class 7 English An Alien Hand
Comprehension check page 60
1. “He had the distinction of being the only member of the party to have bagged any game…”
The phrase in italics means
(i) Grandfather was the most distinguished member of the party.
(ii) Grandfather was the only sportsperson at the party.
(iii) Grandfather was the only successful member of the hunting party.
Mark the right answer.
2. Complete the following sentences.
(i) Toto climbed up the curtains when —————————
————————, I became one of the tiger’s favorites.
(iii) Timothy had clean habits —————————————
Answer: (i)Timothy lost his temper.
(ii)When I came to live with my grandfather.
(iii) He used to scrub his face using pawns like cats.
Comprehension check page 64
1. Grandmother’s prophecy was that the tiger
(i) would prefer Mahmoud’s bed to sleep in.
(ii) and the cook would disappear together from the house.
(iii) would one day make a meal of Mahmoud?
Mark the right answer.
2. When Timothy was about six months old, a change came over him.
The phrase in italics means that
(i) Timothy had grown to his full size.
(ii) Timothy grew more friendly.
(iii) Timothy grew less friendly, in fact, more dangerous
3. Write ‘True’ or ‘False’ against each of the following statements.
(i) Timothy and Grandfather went to Lucknow in a special
(ii) The compartment in which Grandfather and Timothy traveled
had no other passenger.
(iii) Timothy and Grandfather traveled in a first-class
(iv) All passengers in the compartment thought that Timothy was
a well-fed and civilized tiger.
Answer: (i) True.
(iv)False ( It was the zoo )
4. Grandfather suggested that Timothy should be put in another cage. The reason was that
(i) the tiger had become very bad-tempered.
(ii) a leopard in the next cage would constantly rush at Timothy.
(iii) the cage was too small for a full-grown tiger.
Answer: (ii) Explanation: There was a leopard in the adjacent cage. The leopard was frightening the tiger.
5. The tiger was still licking his arm, with increasing relish. The phrase in italics suggests that Timothy
(i) was good-natured.
(ii) recognized an old friend.
(iii) smelt fresh food.
Answer: (i) was good-natured. Explanation: That tiger was not Timothy. Timothy died two months ago. During the grandfather’s meeting with the tiger. The tiger felt the love and the care of the grandfather and behaved well. So, we can say the tiger was good-natured.
A Tiger in the House Question Answer Solution
Exercises Question solution from page 65
1. Where was the tiger cub hiding when Grandfather found him?
Ans: The tiger cub was hiding beneath the complex roots of the banyan tree.
2. (i) What did Toto do to entertain Timothy?
Answer: Toto pulled the tail of the cub Timothy.
(ii) What did he do when Timothy lost his temper?
Answer: If Timothy lost his temper, Toto would climb on the curtain.
3. “I became one of the tiger’s favorites.” Who is ‘I’ in the statement? Why did he think so?
Answer: Here, I refer to the author of the story: Ruskin Bond. Timothy used to stalk the author. Whenever the author came, he would creep closer, rolled on the back author.nd pretended to bite the ankles. This indicates that the tiger loved the author a lot.
4. Where was Timothy most comfortable during the day? Where was he during the night?
Answer: Timothy’s favorite place was the bedroom sofa. Every morning he would sit there and snarl if someone tries to get him out.
He spent his nights at the cook’s quarter.
5. What was Grandmother’s prophecy about the cook? Did it come true?
Answer: Grandmother was of the opinion that one day Timothy would be lying on the cook’s bed with cook missing and only the cloth of the cook.
No, the dictate of Grandmother did not come true as the grandfather decided to leave Timothy to the zoo.
6. What made Grandfather decide to transfer Timothy to the zoo?
With the advancement in age, Timothy was becoming less friendly. During the walk, his eyes were on street cats and the dogs. In the night, Timothy was killing hens. Often he was found staring at the cook with villainous intent.
7. Why did Grandfather want Timothy to be put in another enclosure?
Answer: There was a leopard in the adjacent cage. This leopard was frightening the tiger. The grandfather saw it, so he wanted to put Timothy in another cage.
The grandfather was of the opinion that the tiger is his pet, Timothy. But the old zookeeper explained that Timothy dies of pneumonia 2months ago. So, till now, the grandfather was stoking a tiger who was very dangerous. This shocked the grandfather.
Read also: A tiger in the House Summary.
An Alien Hand Hindi Summary, English Summary & Solution
1. The Tiny Teacher
2. Bringing up Kari
3. The Desert
4. The Cop and the Anthem
5. Golu Grows a Nose
6. I Want Something in a Cage
8. The Bear Story
9. A Tiger in the House.
10. An Alien Hand
Ref: Chapter 9 An Alien Hand.